[rescue] Anyone running Netscape 7 browser on their SPARCs?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jul 15 11:07:51 CDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> A LONG time. I once compiled (or attempted to compile) Mozilla on an athlon
> 800 MHz. Took nearly 3 hours. Now if you reckon that a Sparc (at least with
> GCC) will compile native code very roughly 3.5 times slower then a PC with
> the same clock speed...

I'd say the SPARC will actually be less than 2/7 as fast.

> [1] Well, you can always try, but don't blame me if it takes a week :-)

For a datapoint: the reasonably-fast Pentium III systems here take about
four hours to do a kernel + userland build of OpenBSD.  The SPARCstation
LX I have at home does it in about four -DAYS-.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren