[rescue] SGI CPU Upgrade success!

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Mon Jul 14 23:10:07 CDT 2003

--On Monday, July 14, 2003 8:04 PM -0700 Lionel Peterson
<lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:
>
>> You may be right about "people" already being plural, but (a) it
>> might be a collective noun, (b) getting an apostrophe in there
>> _somewhere_ makes it _some_ sort of possessive, (c) I ain't a
>> friggin' English teacher, and (d) I already made him fix it once.
>
> ;^)
>
>> Thanks for the possible correction of the probable error, though.
>
> Wow - what a lot of discussion about a little 'ol .sig file ;^)
>

> =====
> Lionel
>
> "I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall

As an English major, I'd have to say that your latest correction
is still probably wrong, but it would depend on Sheldon's original
intent.

Or, you could just leave it as it was and follow "peoples" with
"[sic]", meaning 'intentionally so written' to show that it's
an exact quote.

(And I actually learned most of what I know about grammar from
Latin classes, not English classes.  They don't teach much grammar
in English courses for some reason.)

=Nadine=