[rescue] SGI CPU Upgrade success!

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Jul 14 21:59:11 CDT 2003

Phil Stracchino writes ...
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 12:56:12PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > Lionel Peterson writes ...
> >
> > > (Note, I changed my .signature, I hope you like it - I found this in a
> > > nearly year-old email ;^)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > =====
> > > Lionel
> > >
> > > "I am not into examining other peoples dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall
> >
> > Heh.  It never fails.  Everything .sig-worthy I've ever written
> > has a typo in it.  Use it, with my compliments and appreciation,
> > but can you change it to "peoples'" for me?
>
> Shouldn't that be "people's"?  "people" is already plural.  "peoples" is
> not, strictly speaking[1], a word.
>
> [1] Gollum might disagree.  Nassty little grammarianses, yes.  We knows
>     all about their trickses, doesn't we, Preciousss?

Well, there's the "peoples" plural as in "all the peoples of the world...."
But there's a book called "The Littlest Angel", too.  That one got me in
trouble with my teacher in about the third grade, when she wanted "little,
smaller, smallest" and I insisted on "little, littler, littlest" and cited
the book.

You may be right about "people" already being plural, but (a) it might be a
collective noun, (b) getting an apostrophe in there _somewhere_ makes it
_some_ sort of possessive, (c) I ain't a friggin' English teacher, and (d) I
already made him fix it once.

Thanks for the possible correction of the probable error, though.

-Shel