[rescue] Look who's a slashdot weenie!

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jul 14 15:44:30 CDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Scott Newell wrote:

> >A story submission is event better than a first post of Natalie Portman
> >naked and petrified pouring a hot bowl of grits down your pants.  MEEPT!
>
> I have no idea what you're referring to.

I guess that dates me.  I haven't read Slashdot in about two years, but
I do submit SGI stories when they come up.

The first "trolls" on Slashdot (aside from The Glorious MEEPT!!!, who
isn't really a troll, I think) were people who competed for the first
comment on a story.  After a while, you'd see ten or more messages with
"First Post" in the subject line, and no text.

Then, around the time that Star Wars I came out, there were all these
silly posts about Natalie Portman.  The "naked and petrified" came from
some troll on segfault just after segfault shut down the forums.
Someone put the two together, so you'd see "First post!  Natalie Portman
naked and petrified!"

A rather humorous troll later was someone who'd just post "I just poured
a hot bowl of grits down my pants!".

And if you don't know MEEPT, I can't explain MEEPT to you.

> I will admit to once having a submission accepted by slashdot, so I guess
> I'm a weenie too.

Weenie!

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren