[rescue] Prospective VAXrescue

Shirker shirker at mooli.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 20:30:32 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I've been offered a pair of MicroVAX 3400s.

Each has 3x RF71 400MB DSSI disks, one has a TK70 tape drive and also a
SCSI card (apparently the label's fallen off but the card has an MMJ connector
on it, and when you attach a terminal to this you get a SCSI config
menu, so says the vendor).

They both have 36MB RAM. One is running VMS 5.4, the other has been
wiped.

My question is: should I buy these? Can I do anything useful with them?
I'd be interested to learn VMS, but I've never, ever touched DEC
hardware before, so I don't know how much of a handful these boxes would
be for me to deal with.

One last question: how much should I pay? (Ballpark figures)

TIA,

Ed.

--
I remember why I started becoming less tolerant, and I think I should strive
to become less tolerant in future. - RobA