[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Fri Jul 11 15:45:26 CDT 2003

Joshua D. Boyd [mailto:jdboyd at celestrion.net] on Friday, July 11, 2003 3:24
PM said

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 03:18:05PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:

>> Oh, you are not a nice guy (grin); I had to read this twice to see the
dry
>> sarcasm.  On the first read I thought all of my problems had been solved
>> do you know how much we paid for Mentor licenses last year?

>I'm guessing $40k per seat.  I think that's the number I heard tossed
>around at work.  I believe we use Protel, but Mentor sounds nice.

Mentor doesn't charge by seat, really.  They charge by function.  $X to be
able to print 3x concurrently,, $X to be able to autoroute 5X concurrently,
an entire damn laundry list.  The spreadsheet to break all of this down was
3 printed pages ... 80k sounds right but don't quote me.  Note these weren't
new licenses, but maintenance for our current licenses.  I _DO_ remember it
was a sizeable fraction of my home's purchase price, which blew my mind.

~brian