[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 10 16:26:56 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 11:31 AM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> Or just wear these T-shirt "I will not fix your computer" at carefully
> chosen dates.

Yeah.  I should get one of those.

> But in fact, I never mind helping people out with their computer
> trouble. I
> always feel pity for them, especially for those who had Windows Me
> shoved
> down their throat or something :-)

Consumers I feel pity for, business people I want to smack
with a clue-by-four.

A fellow that does business with us for cell phones is
whining to us about his boss insisting on using some
no-name db software for one of their products'
applications.  I suggest "real" db software on a variety
of platforms.  He tells me how much they are spending on
the db software/seat (next to nothing).  So I trotted out
the Open Source software argument (the guy knows UNIX,
that's why he's whining).

He says the boss only wants PCs--they need the "office
productivity applications'.  So I said, buy Macs.  "The
boss won't touch them with a 10-foot pole."

*shake* Nothing else to be said if the boss is so stupid
that he ignores good tools and instead uses 99-cent cheap-
ass shit that breaks all the time.

How do these people manage to make money?  Don't they
ever do cost analyses?

=Nadine=