[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 10 12:52:53 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 10:10 AM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> "These people" also aren't given the tools to evaluate how reliable
> what
> they are getting is.  They walk into a local computer store because
> they
> feel more comfterable doing so, and if they even ask, they get told
> that
> ECC is something they don't need.  They aren't given any metric other
> than Mhz to evaluate performance (which is agrevating to us, but
> ultimately performance doesn't really matter to them since anything
> that
> can be bought new is fast enough), and they most especially aren't
> given
> metrics to evaluate any needs other than what peripherals they might
> want, especially not for evaluating stability.

And most of them don't want to know, because most knowledgeable
people cannot explain it in a way that doesn't make their eyes
glaze over.

We see the same problem in our cell phone store: "I want to get
the phone for free."  The shocked look on a customers' face
when we do the math for them to show them how much they will
actually pay for the phone to get it "for free" is priceless.
And we do this without getting into the technical details of
the phone plans.

=Nadine=