[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Jul 10 11:15:47 CDT 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 17:13, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    I think the real difference is that most PC users tolerate hardware
> failures.

Yup. They like it. A computer that crashes is a normal computer. Just
reinstall it ;)

>    Properly-implemented ECC is the right thing to do.  Yes, it's more
> expensive, but it's the right thing to do.  A memory error that would
> otherwise bring a system to its knees will simply cause an entry into
> an error log with ECC...turning unexpected downtime into scheduled
> downtime.

What home user cares about that?

>    With this "I like my stuff to work all the time" attitude, am I just
> being too intolerant?

For certain. Users are more bothered with their wallet then with some obscure
rare problem they never heard about. If it makes the pc 10 percent cheaper
it's a good deal. ecc is considered overkill for normal fault-tolerant users.

In fact, I don't give a damd about it either. I don't mind messing with a
computer to fix a problem, I still have some others to take over if one
fails, and I an stand a few days without computer games, thank you very much
:-)

(Hm. That is, till the most clueful of all pc dealers changed my faulty 512
meg sdram stick for 2x256 that were even more faulty. But that's another
story).

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be