[rescue] Alphaserver

Michael Schiller agrijag42 at mac.com
Wed Jul 9 19:54:40 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 07:58  PM, Carl-Johan Schenstrom wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Stephen D. B. Wolthusen wrote:
>
>> Not true, the UK has no monopoly on the pound as the currency unit
>> (guineas
>> might've worked, though). Just off the top of my head, both Egypt and
>> Turkey
>> also have pounds. That's why using international currency symbols
>> such as USD
>> or UKP is a good habit - and not just because the UKP typographical
>> symbol is
>> frequently mangled in character set translation.
>
> Except it's GBP, not UKP. =)

That reminds me of the time I sent a computer to the United Kingdom, I
had to send it via the USPS, and when I got to the counter, the lady
there had never heard of the UK, and was asking me if it was a small
country in Africa! When I told her it was England, she made me take the
package, cross off United Kingdom, and write in England, then she was
happy to send it. The real question is: Should I be amazed that some
folks don't know what the UK is?

-Mike