[rescue] Alphaserver

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Wed Jul 9 12:04:23 CDT 2003

On 7/9/03 11:44 AM, "Kevin" <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> I'm not 100% on this either, but i believe it was 20th century (January 1st,
> 1980) when the US dollar was no longer officially backed by gold in the
> Federal Reserves.  This spiked the price of gold to $800+/ounce at the time.
>
> /KRM

You appear to be correct- Here's a quick Google find on the gold standard:

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h753.html

I was remembering William Jennings Bryan's "Cross of gold" campaign, which
centered around going to the gold standard vs. the silver standard after the
economic upheaval of the Civil War, IIRC.

Enough- time to be my own topic policeman :-)

Steve