[rescue] Alphaserver

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Wed Jul 9 10:31:50 CDT 2003

On 7/9/03 10:16 AM, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:

> Michael A. Turner writes, quoting Dan ...
>
>>> I think the seller wants 50 pounds for it.
>>
>> Not to bash the British, but everytime I see this monitary unit I
>> think to myself "Fifty pounds of what? Thats kind of important to
>> figurring the value of the deal."
>
> And how much do those "pounds" weigh, anyway?  Still about a pint?

Wasn't it "pounds Sterling", as in the value of one pound of silver?

Kind of like the "gold standard" when the dollar was backed by gold- in
theory you could go to the Fed and give them a dollar and get it's value in
real, hold-in-your-hand gold. Same idea with "Silver Certificate" dollar
notes- I have a couple.

I'm not an economist, and only an amateur historian (ancient history) but I
believe there was a lot of furor in the USA in the 19th century over the
decoupling of the dollar from gold.

Steve