[rescue] OT: IRIX 6.5 installation on a Indigo2 R10k Impact

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 3 23:34:12 CDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Barry Fujii wrote:

> Ive tried this on two different monitors that I know worked with separate
> cables.
>
> Can you explain more the logic behind yanking pins? I don9t see how it would
> change anything.

Because some 13w3 monitors are Sun or IBM compatible in addition to pure
SoG.  Those monitors expect sync signals on some of the small pins.
SGIs use the small pins to query monitor ID information (to set a sane
default resolution).  Some monitors (like my IBM P200) interpret this as
sync data and try to sync to too high a rate, and just give up.

If you don't want to butcher the cable, get a 13w3<->BNC cable and
another monitor<->BNC cable.  Use thinnet T-taps to join the red, green,
and blue pairs.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren