[rescue] Re: Calling Shawn Wallbridge!

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jul 2 09:46:10 CDT 2003

 Michael A. Turner says ...

> 	If you don't want it [ a Tandy Model 100 ] I will take it.
> I remember my friends having
> one and being jealous for many years. You have to love a laptop that runs
> off of AA batteries, and will do so for a good length of time.

The Mod 100 was a sensation when it came out.  I craved one, too.

I've had a couple of other decent computers than ran on AA batteries,
though:  a Olivetti Quaderno and a Philips Velo.

The Quaderno was a PC-AT-class "subnotebook"; it even had a hard drive.  It
weighed 1 kilo and was the size of a sheet of A4 paper when folded out flat.
The keyboard was a normal layout, and about 8/10ths size.  Had It had an
internal modem, it would have been dynamite, even without a back-lit screen.
If you can find one of them that still works and whose screen hasn't broken
off at the hinges, it might be a fun toy.

The Velo is also fun, and somewhat more useful.  It runs WinCE (up to 2.1
with some hardware changes), and it does have a midling-speed internal modem
and a backlit screen.  It's smaller than the Quaderno, so the keyboard is
pretty hard to use, but the touch screen almost makes up for it.

If I traveled as much as I used to, I'd really glom onto something in the
"uses AA bateries, will do e-mail" class of computing devices, especially if
it had WiFi.

-Shel