[rescue] Sun PCI CO Processor card

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jul 1 17:47:10 CDT 2003

nick at snowman.net wrote:

> I know this is very difficult for some people to understand, but there
> *GASP* Actually Are tasks that Solaris (and IRIX & HP-UX & Linux &
> BSD) are unable to do.  Deal with it.  Use the correct tool for the
> correct task.  This is not always any one os, even when limited to one
> platform.  Yes linux kinda sucks on ultrasparc, so?
> 	Nick

One the other hand, you can get a whiz-bang i386 system for little money.
If you look around, you can often get a stripped PII or PIII system for free.

If desk space is the problem, unless you are a CDE fan, you just use
X-windows on the linux box and run the Sun headless.

As I write this, I am ssh'ed into a server were, while running X on a
P-Pro 200 rescued from the trash running RedHat 9. I'm also running a
backup of the Linux machine and in another desktop, Mozilla and xmms
playing a 90kbps streaming OGG feed (Virgin Radio).

It also has an ide CD-ROM burner and a QIC-150 SCSI tape drive.

The machine is fast enough to VCD's, but too slow to play mp4's and DVDs.
Not that I care, I have a DVD player.

So I get to run the i386 optimized linux kernel and gnu apps on my
linux box, and access the world via my network. But I don't have to
try and get Linux to run on Sun.

On the other hand, Linux on an old power Mac really rocks. :-)

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Do sysadmins count networked sheep?