[rescue] Re: Small RAID array setup

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Jul 1 12:22:05 CDT 2003

--On Monday, June 30, 2003 11:53 PM -0400 "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr."
<rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:
> I haven't had a catastrophic failure that way... however, with Sun's
> DiskSuite, the MetaDB stores all this information.  I alsways make way
> more MetaDB duplicates than are needed (usually one per drive) and in
> their own small slice.  This will make recovery easier as I use the same
> slice # on all drives... I only need one good drive to have access to
> the MetaDB config of the array(s).

Oh, yes, more metaDB better.  We used to also make copies of
the metaDB onto the system disks as well, for the case in which
the controller fails and you don't know which (if any) of the
disks are good.  That way you can build a "replacement" to copy
the data onto before you even have to look at the potentially
busted disks.

If the metaDB is gone you can pretty well call it quits...
good call on always using the same slice.  I can tell you it
used to drive me crazy, working on systems built by supposedly
senior people (in the middle of the night, when all hardware
decides to give up the ghost) where there was no consistency...

I will also re-iterate my admonition about not using slice 2
for anything, particularly with ODS.

Of course, I guess that's why they all ended up in management
(and only one was any good at that, either).

=Nadine=