[rescue] AIX hobbyist/noncommercial license?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jan 31 08:55:36 CST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Robert Novak wrote:

> Do any of you know if there is still a less-than-$350-per-CPU license for
> AIX for home/hobby/technology enthusiast use?
>
> I've seen mention of a hobby license in or around 2000, for $50, but I'm
> not finding anything on IBM's site short of the $350/cpu 5L 5.1 license
> and some ~$1k 4.x license upgrade options.

In 1999, I went to the IBM RS/6000 site, found an entry for "AIX 4.3.3"
for $50, and added it to my cart.  IBM sent me a letter to sign and return
to them stating that I would not resell the software, and I received a box
of CDs (and a nice bit of documentation) about a week and a half later.
There was no validation of any kind that I had a system with a preexisting
license for the 4.3 series.

As far as I know there has never been any kind of hobby license.  What I
purchased was a media kit, and it may not be legally usable on an older
RS/6k without a right to use license for AIX 4.3.  Maybe.  EULAs are not
cut and dried even in the USA.

-James