[rescue] Re: Re: seen on ebay (retry)

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Jan 30 13:21:53 CST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Michael Schiller wrote:

> On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 10:21 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   I'm a pretty strong guy, and I can't lift an E450.  It was all I
> > could do to get it into the bottom of a rack about 4" off the floor.
>
> Is it heavier than a SS670? If so, you might be overloading your floor
> in your computer room, and I'll have to bring you down my SS670 to
> replace the E450 (which I'll HAVE to cart off with me when I leave) :)
>
> But my original question IS serious, is it heavier?

I think it might be lighter, depending on how many power supplies you have
in the E450. An E250 fully loaded is about 110-120 pounds, and an E450
should be about twice that fully loaded, rough back-twinge-based guess.
There's a reason the E450 ships (shipped) from Sun with velcro-tagged
unloading ramps. :)

Oh, and there's a little loop "handle" on the back at the top. It is *NOT*
for lifting the system. I've snapped two of them off in my day, along with
large chunks of fingernail. And all I needed to do was lift the machine up
high enough to pull a SC MM fiber under the caster.

--Rob