[rescue] Re: Re: Re: seen on ebay (retry)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 11:54:39 CST 2003

--- Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi Lionel
>
> > Interesting, but a few questions for those more exp. with this
> > hardware:
> >
> > How heavy is this to ship?
>
> I'd estimate an average deskside E450 chassis at around 75-80kg once
> crated. They are quite heavy boxes - totally over engineered for
> their intended purpose but completely bullet-proof.

What, as a desktop replacement? ;^)

> Can run with 1, 2, 3, or 4 processors. They must be matched for speed
> and cache.
>
> Each CPU requires a separate DC/DC convertor i.e. voltage regulator
> module or VRM.

Eww, I'll have to ask about that - , I hope they are included. I'd like
to stuff 4x 300 MHz CPUs.

> > (Thinking of taking a couple U30s and making one nice E450, and
> sell
> > off the carcasses...)
>
> That would work - but an E450 is a _big_ machine. You can add either
> a PCI or UPA framebuffer if you want a graphics console.

Oh, I'd keep a U30 for a dual-headed console (wouldn't want to
over-burden the E450 with graphics! ;^)

> Oh, there are two common configurations for the E450. Deskside and
> rack. The deskside chassis is more practical for home use because it
> has castors :-)

BTW, S/H to NJ from (wherever they are) is $225, which, based on your
description, seems reasonable (weight-wise)...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com