[rescue] Re: Re: Re: seen on ebay (retry)

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 30 08:35:00 CST 2003

Hi Lionel

> Interesting, but a few questions for those more exp. with this
> hardware:
>
> How heavy is this to ship?

I'd estimate an average deskside E450 chassis at around 75-80kg once crated. They are quite heavy boxes - totally over engineered for their intended purpose but completely bullet-proof.

> All RAM/HD/CPU are U30 compatible, right? (meaning U30 pulls would
> work, incl. HD sled/carriers)

Completely compatible. The base chassis only supports four 1" SPUD disks, but you can add up to two disk backplanes that support eight disks each i.e. total disk capacity of twenty 1"  disks. The 1.6" SPUD disks won't fit in the disk arrays.

> Can this run with 2 CPUs, or are 4 required?

Can run with 1, 2, 3, or 4 processors. They must be matched for speed and cache.

Each CPU requires a separate DC/DC convertor i.e. voltage regulator module or VRM.

> (Thinking of taking a couple U30s and making one nice E450, and sell
> off the carcasses...)

That would work - but an E450 is a _big_ machine. You can add either a PCI or UPA framebuffer if you want a graphics console.

Oh, there are two common configurations for the E450. Deskside and rack. The deskside chassis is more practical for home use because it has castors :-)

Regards,

Gavin