[rescue] Bizarre auctions & SparcStation IPXs...

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Jan 27 15:29:24 CST 2003

.
>>> ... At some point, I suppose I'll need to find an adapter
>>> (transceiver?) for the AUI port.
>>
>>Mr. Bill was supposed to find us some, and is maintaining a trust fund for
>>their acquisition.  There will be some around, in time.
>
>Ah! Well, that's good to know.

Are people looking for AUI->10baseT transcievers ?

I'm pretty sure I have quite a few of them kicking around.

If anyone is looking, make an offer, all I need is one for each of my
old machines that only have AUI, and a spare or two... after that, it's
all extra stuff kicking around.

>>> Once I get them running, well...I don't know. Up to this point, I've
>>mostly
>>> been a Linux user, but it seems that some form of BSD would be better on a
>>> Sparc than Linux; won't kill me to try, anyway--assuming even two of the
>>> systems work, I can always do both. :)
>>
>>There's Solaris, too ....
>
>Yes, but I need a Sun-bootable CD-ROM before I can really consider
>that...and media, of course.
>
>I *do* plan on running Solaris (is 7 the highest that'll run on an IPX?)
>eventually, though I'll probably try to snag a somewhat more recent machine
>(either something like an Ultra 1 or an SS20) as well (when I have money &
>space for them, anyway...).

If you run Solaris 7 on an IPX, do NOT run X/CDE.  Did this once...
very painfull.

Solaris 2.6 would be a bit quicker of you are going to run X/CDE.

Quickest, but you'd be running something out of date would be SunOS 4.1.3,
4.1.3U1, 4.1.3U1B, or 4.1.4.  In Solaris 2.X, I would only consider
2.5.1, 2.6, and 7 if your not going to run X/CDE.

I have CD's available for the 4.X releases, and possibly 2.5.1.

For SunOS 4.X if you ever play with it, your CD-ROM drive requirements
are going to be more strict (Genuine Sun, I believe older DEC, Some
Apple Mac, modified 2X Toshiba, Plextor jumpered to 512 byte block mode).