[rescue] using a SparcClassic X for its intended purpose

Clayton Wheeler csw at thirdshoe.net
Fri Jan 24 02:15:09 CST 2003

I recently hauled a long-unplugged SparcClassic X home from work,
intending to use it as a cold spare for my name server. However, I
thought it would be fun to configure it as an X terminal, as it was
originally intended.

A bit of reading revealed three approaches. Xkernel was apparently a
special kernel with an X server lumped in, but only for sun4 and sun4c
machines. SLXT is a modern take on that idea, using Linux instead of
SunOS or whatever Xkernel was based on, but it requires a Linux
machine, and I don't have any of those running at the moment. (Future
versions are supposed to work from a Solaris server...)

I did find a passing reference to "Sun X Terminal Software," which
seems to be the intended way to use one of these. Unfortunately, it
appears to be long-gone; the manuals are not on docs.sun.com, and I can
hardly even find any mention of it outside of ancient press releases.

Is there a way to use this as an X terminal in a modern Solaris
environment? Is this "Sun X Terminal Software" what I would need? Any
ideas?

--
Clayton Wheeler
csw at thirdshoe.net