[rescue] IRIX 6.5.18m stream 'kinda'available for free

Steve Rikli sr at genyosha.net
Thu Jan 23 14:06:39 CST 2003

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Mike Still wrote:
>
> > Ah ok.. Is it me or is the IRIX install one of the most backwards things
> > out there?
>
> As much as I love IRIX, I have yet to see an installation procedure worse
> than IRIX's.

My $.02 says the installation tool ('inst', or 'swmgr' if you like
GUIs) is actually quite powerful once you make friends with it, but
the underlying bundling of all the various and sundry pieces-parts
of IRIX on handfuls of CDs is what often makes the process cumbersome.

Back at the company the IRIX images were kept online and we did network
installs rather than CDs -- much smoother.  Though there are admittedly
still lots & lots & lots of software bundles to wade through.

cheers,
sr.
--
|| Steve Rikli              ||| When you have eliminated the impossible, ||
|| Systems Administrator    ||| whatever remains, however improbable,    ||