[rescue] Cheap 600a/au on eBay

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Jan 22 13:17:50 CST 2003

> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
> > eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2303249818&category=1484
> >
> > I'd go for it if it weren't a Pyxis-based system.
>
>    Eh?  I don't know anything about Pyxis chipsets...what's wrong with
> them?

They are buggy.  One example that bit me was the Intraserver
SCSI controllers (both Intraserver- and Digital-labeled models).
After a reboot, I'd lose access to the drives until I powered
the system off.  I tried three different models of cards, and
three different revs. of the Pyxis chipsets, and they all had
this problem.  I finally gave up when Intraserver said they
could recreate the problem but couldn't work around it.

The Pyxis also has a bug in DMA handling.  I was bit by that
one a couple of times, too.

I think if you Google around you can find more details.  If
you avoid certain combinations of hardware and/or software,
you probably won't have problems, but I'd rather use hardware
I don't need to worry about.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net