[rescue] Production uses for rescued hardware

Jeffrey J.Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Tue Jan 21 14:57:23 CST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:30:24 -0500, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 11:59 AM, Jeffrey J.Nonken wrote:
> >> Actually there IS such a thing as too many computers, and I think I've
> >> reached it. Now let me further define TOO MANY computers. When you
> >> HAVE
> >> to eat out, because every table like surface in your house has a
> >> computer on it... When you have to be careful where you walk, because
> >> the floor is covered with computers... When you don't realise that the
> >> SparcStation you just put together has a bad drive in it because you
> >> couldn't hear the whine over all the other machines in the house...
> >> and
> >> finally when you can't invite a person of the opposite sex to spend
> >> the
> >> night with you because the only place left to put a computer is on the
> >> other side of a queen sized bed, YOU HAVE TOO MANY COMPUTERS!
> >>
> >> So now the question is... Which one do I get rid of? :)
> >
> > The person of opposite sex. I mean, DUH.
>
>    But he paid good money for her presence!

Bah.

A REAL geek girl will not find the presence of the hardware to be a problem.
Quite the opposite. Nor is money the proper lure...

I mean, we're obviously talking about a hardware incompatibility issue. You
can try to adapt, which solution is fraught with long-term annoyances and
constant compromises and adjustments, or simply dispose of the incompatible,
um, "piece," and find one that will work with the rest of your hardware. The
search may not be short, or easy, but in the long run it's worth it.

Getcher priorities straight, bud.

---
Beware of being the roller when there's nothing left to roll.