[rescue] Cleaning out advice needed...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Jan 21 01:50:54 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Hebel" <nimitz at speakeasy.net>
To: <geeks at sunhelp.org>; <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 12:05 AM
Subject: [rescue] Cleaning out advice needed...

> I know everybody on the list has had to do this at one time or another
> and now it's my turn.
>
> I need to actually discard old computer equipment.  (Not that I don't
> have more of it coming in. ;-)
>
> The problem is that I need advice on what to get rid of.  Most of the
> stuff around here is crap but I don't know exactly what to do with it.
> Basically I looked around tonight and said "What the hell am I going to
> do with all this stuff!"
>
> For instance I have (without looking):

[snip massive list of computer crap, a list virtually indistinguishable from
one I might make if I took an inventory of my basement]

> Help is needed for this packrat to "unpackrat" some this stuff!
>
> Mike "drowning in crap" Hebel

Personally, I'd only keep the nicer, working, mainline stuff.  A big server
case or two, enough late-model parts to build a couple of servers, some
spares for the working stuff, that's it.

If there's a fix-old-computers-for-the-disabled/disadvantaged charity near
you, give 'em all the stuff you really don't want, and take a tax deduction
for it.

I used to work with such a charity when I lived in California, and we loved
getting collections like that.  The only thing better was complete, working
computers, and we got dam' few of those.

-Shel