[rescue] Production uses for rescued hardware

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Jan 19 17:09:16 CST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 08:31:01 -0700 (MST)
Gary Nichols <gary at linuxforce.org> wrote:

> Oh my - there are some SEXY machines on that list!!!!
>
> Pictures available?

Well, if you saw my computer room you would know why there aren't any
pictures :-)

I intend to end up with pictures, screenshots, and such in the database
the list is living in, and some sort of web site sucking from it.  That
all is in the time line after building the building, which is now in the
time line after turning my AS degree into a BS degree.  That's when I
will find out if I can integrate the commodore 64 with hardware speech
recog. and text-to-speech into the environmental control system :-)  Of
course the TRS80s and the Osbornes lend themselves well to real world
interaction as well.

I think my favorite old machine on the list is the Osborne, with 80
column card and a filter on the screen that makes it white/black instead
of green, and if you switch the reverse video on the back of the tube
you get a nice crisp 25x80 black on white 5 inch display. Of course the
Commodore 16 ranks right up there for rarity.

Tim