[rescue] Wow. I feel dumber..

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 19 16:46:07 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 03:11 PM, ed at the7thbeer.com wrote:
> Too harsh. ;)

   I had a building full of suits breathing down my neck to move our
bread-and-butter, crash-free SunOS4 systems to Solaris in the 2.3 days.

   My words may be harsh, but the running in short spurts between
crashes wasn't an exaggeration.  There were tremendous memory leaks in
the C library, and the OS blew itself to pieces when it ran out of swap
space.  These two things make for a very bad combination.

   And that's not saying anything about the horrendous performance
problems.

   I'm really, really glad they got their shit together.  I've got four
machines running Solaris-8 and two running -9...that stuff is just
plain *nice*!

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols