[rescue] Wow. I feel dumber..

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 19 14:01:19 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 06:07 AM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>>    Yeah SCO has always been about ten years behind the rest of the
>> world, even worse than other commercial stuff.  Their stuff tends not
>> to crash, but that's its only redeeming quality in my opinion.
>
> So? I never heard a solaris user say that his box crashed.
>
> And "everyone knows" that solaris is a Good(tm) Unix(r).

   You obviously have no experience with Solaris pre-2.7.

   Solaris is excellent, I run it on some of my most important (i.e., my
income depends on them) machines.  But when Sun started ramming it down
our throats, say around release 2.3, it *sucked*.  It ran in short
spurts between crashes (averaged about twenty minutes' run time) and it
was damn near impossible to get any software built on it.  It became
somewhat usable in 2.5.1, half decent in 2.6, approaching nice in 2.7,
damn good in 2.8, and AWESOME in 2.9.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols