[rescue] monitoring?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Jan 19 07:59:55 CST 2003

Eric Webb <ttlchaos at randomc.com> wrote:

> Do any of you guys employ any kind of systems monitoring (incl. stats
> gathering) software on your rescued machines?  I've been looking at
> freebies like BB and Cricket and I'm not sure that they're what I
> want.

Big Brother is what I use in the office to monitor productin systems.
In the next month or so I'm going to integrate it with MRTG.

BB has saved me some trouble a few times - emailing me about a (poorly
coded) runaway process before it could fill up an entire partition with
garbage data.  It also helps me keep tabs on disk space, oracle
availability, router health, etc.

I've never used Cricket, so I don't know what it does.

NetSaint has also gained high applause from many people.  While I like
the interface it uses, I've never succeeded in setting it up - partly
because I already had something that Just Worked, and I didn't really
want to spend a long time getting something else running - only to have
to learn a new ocnfiguration file format...

There are others.  Bill, what was that you were using at Broadwing?
OpenMon?

--
Kurt                "I remember that I've got a solid base of worms and
kurt at k-huhn.com      ant eggs.  I puke like a hero all night long."