[rescue] Sun 486i !!

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Jan 17 00:50:52 CST 2003

I'm overdue when it comes to taking some pics of that box....

I'll see if I can take some pics maybe this weekend...

I'll post them somewhere and send along the URLs if I manage to get
the pics taken.

It is very much like the 386i... outside is 100% identical (except for
the Sun 486i badging).  Inside there is a new "backplane"/mainboard,
and cpu board setup.  Graphics/etc are all 386i.  Don't know if it will
Run 386i SunOS, but I do have the 4.0.2 beta load tapes (a score from
a different source).

I think some of my favorite pieces in my computer collection are the
Sun 486i, the prototype LX, my Sun2/120 (that was owned by IBM at one
point... I find that too funny), and the Altos 886 (which I still can
not find OS diskettes or the diagnostic diskette :-( ).

I also have a Microvax stored at a friend's house... (I've not even seen it
yet :-) ).

Well, hopefully I'll get a few minutes to snap some pics and put them
somewhere where you can all see this "myth" for real.

-- Curt

>Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:50:20 -0600
>From: Geoff Koehler <koehler at shaw.ca>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun 486i !!
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
>Hi Curt and  All,
>
>This is extremely cool, and you are right - an important rescue.  If you have
pics of it, please send them my(our) way - I have never seen one.  And speaking
of rescues, does anyone want a nice, complete stardent titan 3000?  I need to
make more room, but cant bear to throw it out.