[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 16 20:58:53 CST 2003

Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:
> If this is the PERC 2 equivalent frequently used in the Dell Poweredge
> 2300, I had one that would choke on large transfers... effectively
> crashed the machine.  Got it replaced by an identical card... no
> problem... so the RAID controller is bad if it does that.
> Otherwise... hmmm.  Ours had 16MB of cache.

That's the one.  With 16MB of cache, it simply can't transfer data out
of the cache onto the disk fast enough.  This was/is a known problem
with the Dell Perc2.  I *kind of* solved it by setting the cache flush
to a very short time interval, and setting the elevator levels in Linux.
 Instead of bringing the machine totally down, now it only suffered a
sever degredation until the cache could flush, and the transfer stopped.

--
Kurt                "I remember that I've got a solid base of worms and
kurt at k-huhn.com      ant eggs.  I puke like a hero all night long."