[rescue] Production uses for rescued hardware

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Thu Jan 16 22:48:04 CST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:54:28 -0500
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:

> The stuff I have isn't all that antique or unique:  Sun lunchboxes, SGI
> Indigo2, HP X-terms.  I use some of for "production" file-and-other-stuff
> serving on my home-office network, and some for just screwing around.

I'm living in a similar situation. My main home-office server is a SGI
Challenge S, I use the Octane as my main workstation and run the Indies as
visitor workplaces or for OS-specific tasks (such as compiling for various
older IRIX releases). The latter was done on Personal Irises before I got
a sufficient amount of Indies. The other/older machines I keep mainly
because of the historic value and of course because I like to have lots
of stuff around (plus there is my interest invarious UNIX flavours).

> FWIW, _all_ gear is "used" once you install it.  Some is just more "used"
> than others.

Ok... in that case all my machines are *used*. ;-)

Gerhard