[rescue] Production uses for rescued hardware

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Jan 16 12:54:28 CST 2003

"Skeezics Boondoggle" <skeezics at q7.com> writes ...

> For other Rescuers, what's the main application for your older gear?
> Personal use?  Historical interest only?  I know that some of you still
> use older machines to earn a living or run a business, and still rely on
> used gear in a production role of some kind.  I'm curious to know what
> sort of interesting uses people get out of the "obsolete" hardware they
> collect.

The stuff I have isn't all that antique or unique:  Sun lunchboxes, SGI
Indigo2, HP X-terms.  I use some of for "production" file-and-other-stuff
serving on my home-office network, and some for just screwing around.

FWIW, _all_ gear is "used" once you install it.  Some is just more "used"
than others.

-Shel