OT: Apex mods (was RE: [rescue] SunTuner?)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 16 11:05:54 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:01:42PM -0500, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> > Anyway, I want to add a dual boot mod for R0 and R1, and I want to do
> > the PSU mods which are supposed to deliver better color fidelity and
> > sound.  Maybe while I'm at it a component video out, though I have no
> > way to use such a thing.
>
> When you figure out how, or if you'd like some help, let me know.
> My Apex hasn't been changed for just about the same reasons--I just
> haven't had the time to pursue things.

It is supposed to be darn easy.  Download file, send it to DaveM with a
few bucks.  Wait.  Open case, insert chip.  See if it works.  If so, cut
whole in case, mount small switch, solder 2 wires that from the pictures
don't look too small.  Turn on see if works.  Turn off. Flip switch,
turn on see if works.  Reassemble.  There are lots of web sites that
describe the two wires and have the EEPROM image.

Actually, the main reason I was waiting was until mid summer I still had
a warranty.  It's only been the last 6 months or so that I've been
putting it off because of lack of time.  And now I'm putting it off
because of lack of use.  Until I recieve my 13w3->VGA adapter that
actually works, I can't use the Apex player since it spot in the family
room was taken by Mom's new changer.

--
Joshua D. Boyd