[rescue] You want balls?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 16 01:07:09 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:01:06PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 02:38 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >It depends on what you are doing of course.  I'd imagine that V6 isn't
> >much better than MXI for simple tasks (like flat or gauroud shaded
> >polygons without textures), but the more complex the task, the better
> >the performance.  But I haven't been able to get my hands on such a
> >machine, so what do I know.
>
>   ...a good bit more about graphics technology than the rest of us,
> that's what. ;)

But, as I'm sure you would be the first to point out, reading ain't the
same as getting in hands on.  Frankly, I have only had a chance to be
hands on for real work on a Onyx RE2, a R10k Max Impact, and a highly
misconfigured O2 (no working compilers despite having GCC installed and
a mipspro license).  The vast majority of the work was on the Onyx.

I don't know what is up with the Max Impact, but the other two machines
haven't been turned on from what I can tell since the MU CS dept moved
across campus.  The crime of it all.  Two very nice SGIs sitting there
unused for over a year and me with no SGI.

--
Joshua D. Boyd