[rescue] Holy crap, cheap UW scsi drives

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Wed Jan 15 13:24:29 CST 2003

On Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003, at 14:12 US/Eastern, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> $140 for 276 gigs of ultrawide scsi disk space spread across 12 disks.
>
> Man that would be nice.  Well, except for the power requirements
> possibly.

Seagate Elites. Nice drives. I've got 8 of them in a Sun Mass Storage
cabinet downstairs with a RAID controller. The power consumption's not
as bad as you'd expect, except you have to remember they draw 5A each
at spin-up, so they're best off staggered by SCSI ID, it gives you 12
seconds X ID, which is plenty of time.

Other than that, I measured it, and the whole cabinet costs about $8-10
/month to run at $0.045/kwh.

---sambo