[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Tue Jan 14 11:43:47 CST 2003

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
  I doubt that
> you could operate them in a 110V because I do not think there is any 110V
> circuit that provides over 20A in the US.

At home you can pretty much do what you want.  A single phase 120V 30A
twist-lock outlet is really just two 30A 120V circuits.

It really depends on the power supplies.  If the individual supplies
take 120V (regardless of relative phase) then there are many options
for running power to it.  If it actually requires three phase power
(very few things do, usually big motors) then it will be verry difficult
to run it at home where three phase power is very rare.  If it requires
240V single phase (two 120V legs out of phase), most people
have that at home. You would just need a special circuit and plug.
I could do this with my dual 120V outlets via a special adaptor.
If it needs 240V on one leg, then you need a big power transformer
and a 120V circuit with twice the capacity.

KL