[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jan 14 08:22:41 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:06:02AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > It booted up okay today, it's got 6.5.10 installed. It's the box only,
> > no monitor or anything. It has 4x 100MHz R4400's and two
> > InfiniteReality(?) boards, 1GB disk and 64MB memory.
> >

> That's a somewhat base hardware config - with the exception of the IR
> boards.  I'm surprised to see two IR boards, and only a single 1GB disk and
> 64MB ram.  However, it does have 4 procs.

4 procs is extremely common for r4.4k based machines.  The Onyxs are
really intended to be multiprocessor machines, and while you can have a
single r10k, it isn't really a great idea.  If by two IR boards he means
2 IR pipes, I'm not really that suprised.  It is a rack after all, and
you usually don't buy it without having a plan for what to do with the
extra space.  If he really means 2 boards, I wonder how it works, since
at a minimum I thought it required IR versions of one RM board, one GE
board, and one DG board.

And the 64megs of ram is really bizarre.  However, it isn't to hard to
beef that up... if you have a spare grand.

--
Joshua D. Boyd