[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jan 14 08:06:02 CST 2003

Walter Belgers <walter+rescue at belgers.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My habit of collecting old (Unix-)computers has become compulsive. For a
> small fee (one pie a week for a year) I could pick up two Onyx systems,
> one for me, one for a friend.

Nice price!

> I should've said no. Now I own a big heavy hunk of metal that will only
> work on 380VAC which I don't have. I don't even really have the space..
> Maybe I should find something who will buy the system from me. Or can
> you turn these things into a fridge?

No.  You absolutely do not even kid around on *this* list about making this
into a refridgerator.  These systems are still useful and are desired and
sought after by many people.  They might not be worth a _big_ pile of
dollars, but they have much usefulness left in them.

> It booted up okay today, it's got 6.5.10 installed. It's the box only,
> no monitor or anything. It has 4x 100MHz R4400's and two
> InfiniteReality(?) boards, 1GB disk and 64MB memory.

That's a somewhat base hardware config - with the exception of the IR
boards.  I'm surprised to see two IR boards, and only a single 1GB disk and
64MB ram.  However, it does have 4 procs.

> http://www.friet.org/voor.jpg
> http://www.friet.org/achter.jpg

Nice looking - appears complete and with all the skins.  Not too scuffed up
either.

Tell you what, if you really don't want it, someone here will be *glad* to
take it off your hands.  Where are you located?

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com