[rescue] SGI Indy questions

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Tue Jan 14 01:54:40 CST 2003

Hello Curtis,

Tuesday, January 14, 2003, 4:25:23 AM, you wrote:

> 1. CD - IRIX 6.5 Installation Tools June 1998

  That's the basic installation CD from the original 6.5 release.

> 2. CD - IRIX 6.5 Development Foundation
> 3. CD - IRIX 6.5 Development Libraries

  This is required if you want to compile some stuff on your own.
  There is no compiler included, but it is required to run 'gcc' from
  SGIs freeware collection.

> 4. CD - IRIX 6.5 Applications June 1998

  Basic Apps.

> 5. CD - IRIX 6.5 Base Documentation June 1998

  Not required. Includes the IRIX Documentation in readable format
  (for direct use from mounted CD-ROM; not install images).

> 6. CD  Enlighten DSM 1.1 for Unix and NT
> 7. CD - SNMP Access to HP-UX MIB 1.1.2

  Not required unless you need it.

> 8. CD - ONC3/NFS version 3

  Same here, but it makes sense to install NFS because automounting of
  NFS volumes seems to fail otherwise (at least it did before 6.5
  IIRC).

> 9. CD - Octane Demos 1.3
> 10. CD - Octane/Impact Video for IRIX 6.5
> 11. CD - Hot Mix 18

  Not required. Demos, Demo Versions and Drivers.

> ??? I just don't know Irix ?

  What is missing are the Foundation 1 and Foundation 2 CDs from the
  basic 6.5 install set.

> Anyone got an XL24 video card for an Indy for sale ?
> Or an XZ ?

  Unless you really need the 3D capabilities of an XZ graphics option
  I'd stick with XL24. It's much better suited for 2D tasks -
  including X Window stuff.

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de