[rescue] The onyx godness

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Mon Jan 13 16:10:56 CST 2003

On 13 Jan 2003, John Ruschmeyer wrote:
> Interestingly, the Sun FrameBuffer FAQ lists the ZX (aka Leo) as
> supporting resolutions of 640x480x60 and 770x575x50 along with the more
> traditional ones.
>
> Anybody ever tried one of those with a low-end monitor?

I think the problem with most old SUN frame buffers is that they run sync
on a separate channel. Most other vendors mix the green and sync channels
into a single one. However I don't remeber if SUNS sends both syncs or
just the vertical sync. Thus some monitors, spedially older multisync
ones, may not like that.... either they spect the sync channels each on a
different line, or they can deal with sync-on-green.

> Also, anyone know of any problems with putting a ZX in a Sparc 2?

The ZX gets awefully hot, maybe that chassis is not cool enough for it.
But I do not think why it would not work....