[rescue] The onyx godness

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Mon Jan 13 13:10:53 CST 2003

On Monday, Jan 13, 2003, at 13:19 US/Eastern, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> (Aside:  Welcome back sambo!  Still in B'more?  Need Guinness?)

Thanks! Yes, still in Baltimore, and I do indeed need Guinness. And a
job, if you have one.

> Actually, I think that there was little poo-flinging or derision.

Fair enough. I think I mentioned I'd missed a lot of list mail for a
few months. I *would* expect poo-flinging on mention of peecees,
though. And I think you'll agree that my expectations are justified,
no? 8-)

> James Lockwood had worthwhile comments with which I would generally
> agree:

He usually does.

> actually faster to send the graphics over 100MB switched FDX Ethernet

That's true when the display is an SS20 with SX, too. It's almost
always true.

I'm on a PowerBook right now, but on my desk downstairs is an SS20 with
an 8M VSIMM and 2x Fujitsu AG-10e. It's got 2x SM81, and 384M RAM. it's
not much more than a glorified XTerm for the U5/440 in the rack. The U5
does all the work at 64bit, and the SS20 feels like a modern box, with
three heads.

It's FAST.

---sambo