Dumpster diving ( was RE: [rescue] The onyx godness (first pictures))

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Jan 13 12:58:23 CST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:44:30PM -0500, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> 	It simply has become the property of another company than the one
> that it was at. You kinda can think of it as the dumping company has a
> building at a location (The dumpster) that items that have been seconded to
> their company (The trash) can be moved to for temporary storage (tossed
> until tipping day). I do not think this concept has been tested in court and
> it seems to be different than the precedent set in the supreme court case.
> IAMNAL and YMMV so caveat emptor on that info.

However, given that most computer equipment could be shown to be
"toxic waste" as the EPA defines it, especially monitors, any company
choosing to prosecute you in the USA could end up being very nice to
you once you asked them if they followed the EPA mandates for proper
disposal of such dangerous items.

A friend used to work for Dell when they first started making their
own laptops.  To keep down RF emissions, they had a metallic goop they
sprayed on the inside of the plastic laptop shells.  The story goes
that when they decided to halt production of one line, Michael Dell
found out that they had to PAY MONEY to get rid of the plastic
because, sprayed with this stuff, it was now considered a different
kind of waste.  He was not happy.

Cordially

Patrick
patrick at zill.net