[rescue] Apple II serial as a terminal

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 11 20:47:57 CST 2003

On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 09:40 PM, Kris Kirby wrote:
>> Official spec on RS-232 is probably 25' or less, I'm sure.  But at
>> work
>> we're running several serial terminals (IBM 3153's) over at least 300
>> feet of CAT 5.  This stuff was run through the steel trusses of the
>> warehouse (some 30-40 feet up) and never once have we have had
>> trouble.
>> So long as you're only talking about 9600 baud terminal connections,
>> you're safe.  YMMV if you push it harder than that, though.
>
> I've seen loops out to 4,000 FT, but they were using RS485.

   ...which is rather unrelated to RS232.

   Little-known factoid: What we commonly call "RS-232C" hasn't been
correct for many years.  "RS" stands for "Recommended Standard"...the
standard was accepted by EIA many years ago and it is now properly
known as "EIA-232D".

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols