[rescue] Apple II serial as a terminal

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 11 16:52:46 CST 2003

On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 05:21 PM, Paul Phillips wrote:
> Why am I even thinking about this?  I must be nuts...

   Possibly.

> I have an old Apple IIe sitting in the corner.  I look at it lovingly
> now and then.  It will boot up...

   Excellent!

> So if I put a Super Serial card in it (I think that is what Apple used
> to call them - this was 20 years ago) could I use it as a dumb
> terminal to connect to my Sun netra?

   Sure, why not?

> An aside - how long can the serial cable run and still keep open the
> LOM connection on a Netra?  Can I pipe it across CAT 5 in the house a
> 100 feet or so?

   That depends on how fast you want to go.  A "standard" console baud
rate like 9600 baud should be no problem across 100' of cat5 cable.

> Thanks, and apologies for wild ideas...

   Wild ideas.  Like replacing tried-and-true oil lamps with these
strange glass things that use electricity to make light, like using
mold (how nasty!) as a medicine...Wild ideas are what change the world,
man.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols