Dumpster diving ( was RE: [rescue] The onyx godness (first pictures))

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Jan 11 15:53:36 CST 2003

> Liability for people who come into your property's borders without asking?
> Weird folks those americans :-)
>
> I once actually heard an urban legend about someone who went to jail because
> he put glass on top of the concrete wall around his garden, and a burglar got
> wounded and bled to death.

In Oregon there was an actual trial that involved the following: Someone
had left a gun pointing to the entrance door of his mountain shak, there
was a wire connected to the trigger of the shotgun, and such wire was also
tied to the door know of the fore mentioned entrance door. One day a burglar
opened such entrance door, and lord and behold he got a nice round of buckshot.
This was actually quite amusing to read... and they actually tried to pass
legislation to ban such practices, since they seem to be quite widespread
over the backwoods of Oregon (Oregon is different, let me tell you :-)).

There had been other incidents of the same type of accident/fatality, but
they involved the actual property owners that had forgotten about
their home made theft deterrant system. Draw your own conclusions.

There have been plenty of cases involving burglars getting injured while
robing some property, and the thieves actually suing the property owner and
winning!

What is the lesson to be learn? Well, in the USA nobody is responsible for
his or her own dumb asses... it is always someone elses fault. And if all
fails, just blame it on Clinton's penis... it made you do it!

I guess today is my off topic day :-/...