[rescue] SS20 auxiliary video board

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Fri Jan 10 15:03:42 CST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> I kick myself every time I think about the ones I passed over on ebay
> two years ago.... they were not common, but at the time if I had known
> how rare they were I would have paid the money they went for.... arg !

Sigh.  Yeah, it sucks when you let something go by and you just know in
your gut you're gonna need it someday... At the other extreme, there's my
dad, who has old coffee cans full of old nuts, bolts, washers, and all
kinds of fasteners and gizmos and hardware that he's saved and lugged
around for decades.  Crazy?  Maybe a little, but it's great doing a
project with him when you need some funky little part and he says "Oh!
Yeah, I've got an old artichoke jar full of those, hang on..."  I
definitely got the packrat gene from Dad's side of the family.

> Good luck... but if you locate a source at a resonalbe price, despite
> the fact I don't use my SS20 (but I still have it), I'd love to get one
> for it.

Well, I'll keep looking and report back if I find any.

> As for a 20MB SS20 VSIMM.... hmmm... I have 2... one in my Sparcstation
> 20 and one my Sparcstation 15 (ok, now that needs explaining doesn't
> it.... I call it a Sparcstation 15SX... it is a SparcEngine 20 board
> (made by Sun but try to find docs on their site for it !) out of an
> Aries Marixx SS and put in a SS10 chassis since it is a modified SS10

Funky. :-)

> board for all intensive purposes).  Depending on how bad you want an 8MB
> I might be persuaded with cash/trades and a 4MB SS20 VSIMM.

Well, one 21" 24-bit display @ 1280x1024 vs. two 21" 24-bit displays @
1152x900... hmmm... :-)  Multiple heads are cool, and I actually plan to
upgrade the box to Solaris 8 soon to play with Xinerama... So for now, I'm
going to keep looking for the AVB.

And here's a thought:  why isn't there some place to post "want to buy" or
"want to trade" notices?  Or is there, and I just haven't found it?

-- Chris