[rescue] R8k I2's

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jan 7 19:39:25 CST 2003

On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 08:33 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>> R8ks are hard to find.  Basically you can search for an R10k
>> (recommended),
>> since that one has a big boost in performance.  Otherwise, you can
>> get an
>> R4400 (i've got a 200mhz, runs great), and possibly replace the
>> motherboard
>> later on with an R10k 64-bit version (you need to replace the board
>> to jump
>> from R4x to R10x, because of the change in the CPU architecture).
>
>    From all the noise I've been hearing here, I'm beginning to suspect
> that my R8k-based I2 isn't worth the floor-space it's occupying.
> Whilst

   Well, comments from others notwithstanding, my R8K I^2 held its own
just fine for floating point ops while sitting side-by-side with an
R10K I^2 (175MHz, my old machine) using SGI's compilers.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols