[rescue] Wanted: RS/6000 7012 Accessories

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jan 7 13:17:14 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 12:05, James Lockwood wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2003, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>
> > I'm searching for the following items for my recently acquired RS/6000
> > 7012:
> >
> > Keyboard (the port looks like a PS2, but reading on the net, it doesn't
> > look like I can use a standard PS2 keyboard)
>
> You can, though the mapping can be kind of funky during boot.  If you're
> running AIX 4 then you should be able to manage.

Hmm. I'd love to try and get the "proper" keyboard for this box anyways,
but its good to know that AIX 4 can deal with a standard PS2.

> > Serial cable
>
> Is this a 320 with the old header style serial ports?  If so, just grab an
> old PCjr serial pigtail, they use the same pinouts (no, I have no idea
> what IBM was thinking).

Yeah, it is. Unfortunately, its been years since I've seen a PCjr, much
less the serial pigtail. Anyone have one of these?

> > Installation media (the machine has a 3.5 floppy)
>
> You'll want to install off of tape or CDROM.  The floppy is handy for data
> exchange and running diagnostics.  What OS do you intend to load?

AIX more than likely. If I get bored, I might poke it with Linux, but
thats unlikely.

The machine definitely doesn't have a CDROM, nor does it appear to have
space for one to be added internally. I could always chain one off the
external SCSI port, but having 0 experience with this hardware, I wasn't
sure if that would work or not.

> If it's a 320, make sure you have the (optional) ethernet card.  I may
> have a spare if you need one.

This one has an ethernet card, it just needs a transceiver, which I have
a few of already.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> (SAIR LCA, RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260
Red Hat Sales Engineer :: http://www.redhat.com
Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader :: http://www.auroralinux.org

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, or my project, Aurora
SPARC Linux and belong solely to me.

Save Firefly! :: http://www.fireflysupport.com/ :: Keep Flying!